Karela, also known as Bitter melon or Bitter gourd, is one of my favorite veggies. Although they have a strong flavor, I have always found them appetizing.
A healthful, crispy bitter gourd fry is produced with an air fryer. A quick treat that might quickly become your family favorite.
I’ve been making these air fryer karela dishes daily since getting an air fryer.
This Air Fryer Bitter Gourd Chips will convert you into a Bitter Gourd fan and have you going back for more. The use of an air fryer makes the chips highly healthful and guilt-free.
Bitter Gourd Chips Ingredients
- After slicing the bitter gourd into rounds and removing the seeds, I received roughly 180 grams.
- 2 cups warm water
- 14 cup rice flour 14 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, to taste
- 18 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 18 teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 3–4 tbsp water
- 2 tsp oil
How to Make Bitter Gourd Chips in Air Fryer
- Trim the bitter gourd’s edges after washing it. Remove the seeds and flesh from the center by cutting them into little rounds (less than 14 inches in thickness). I took around 250 grams of bitter gourd and cut and cleaned it to get about 180 grams. I didn’t scrape the spikes on the bitter gourd.
- Soak the chopped bitter gourd for 30 minutes in 2 cups of boiling water. Then remove the bitter gourd from the water and pat it dry. I normally lay it out on a kitchen towel to dry.
Prepare the batter and soak the bitter gourd:
- Combine the chickpea flour, rice flour, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, and jaggery in a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp of water to make a thick batter. If necessary, add an additional 1 tbsp of water; otherwise, 3 tbsp of water should be enough.
- Mix in the chopped bitter gourd to the prepared mixture. Make sure the flour is uniformly mixed and coated on the bitter gourd.
Fry the bitter gourd in the air:
- Preheat your air fryer according to the manufacturer’s instructions. I normally warm it for 5 minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the coated bitter gourd in the air fryer tray when it has been preheated. Do not stack them on top of one other. That’s what I did: I air-fried them in batches.
- Remove the first batch from the air fryer pan and place it on a dish after 8 minutes at 370 degrees F.
- Place the remaining bitter gourds in the tray and air fry for 8 minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit. Transfer this batch to the plate now.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of oil with the bitter gourd. Place the whole bitter gourd in the air fryer tray. Distribute it evenly. It’s fine if some bitter gourds are piled on top because they’ve already been roasted.
- Fry the bitter gourd for 6 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the air fryer tray, shake it once, and air fry for another 4 to 6 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. I cooked the fries for 6 minutes since we like them crispy.
Timing for the Air Fryer:
- Cooked the bitter gourd chips in batches for 8 minutes at 370 degrees F. The batches were then blended, some oil was added, and they were air-fried for 12 minutes at 400 degrees F, stirring once in between. I had to work in bunches because my amount was so large.
Nutrition facts karela air fryer recipe
- Calories: 125kcal
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 3g
- Calcium: 19mg
Time and Servings
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Servings: 4
FAQs about air fryer karela recipe
Is fried karela good for health?
No, this dish is not suitable for diabetes, the heart, or weight reduction. This dish is deep-fried. Deep-fried foods are not ideal for a healthy lifestyle. Deep frying boosts oil absorption, which raises your fat levels.
What causes bitterness in bitter gourd?
Bitter gourd includes saponins and terpenoids, which are beneficial substances. These molecules are responsible for the bitter taste of the vegetable, but they may also help diabetics reduce their blood sugar levels.
Is bitter gourd good for high BP?
Bitter gourd juice’s anti-bilious and calming qualities promote good internal health and hence alleviate stress. Reduces blood pressure: Drinking bitter gourd juice helps to naturally lower blood pressure.