Paczki (pronounced POHNCH-kee) are puffy Polish doughnuts that are sometimes filled with jam or custard and are traditionally eaten the day before Lent begins. This dish takes a contemporary approach by cooking the paczki recipe air fryer, resulting in a significantly lighter version. You may, however, use the same recipe and cook it in oil if you want.
Paczkis/ Krofne are produced from the highly rich dough, as opposed to American donuts. The dough is made with eggs, lipids, sugar, yeast, and milk and is usually dusted with powdered sugar or filled with jam.
- 3-4 cups AP flour* + 1/2 cup set aside
- One tablespoon of dry yeast
- 1 and 3/4 cups vitamin D milk
- 1 TBSP white sugar [add another tbsp if you don’t want to fill them]
- a quarter cup of vegetable oil
- Two teaspoons salt
- Two eggs
- powdered sugar for the top
- jam, jelly, or Nutella for the filling
How to make air fryer donuts from scratch
- Warm your milk in the microwave for a few seconds. thirty seconds
- In a medium mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the warm milk, yeast, and sugar. Mix until everything is combined.
- Combine 3 cups of flour, oil, salt, and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix until well blended.
- At this point, the dough will be sticky.
- 1/4 cup flour at a time, just until the dough comes together in a loose, semi-sticky ball. You may use one entire cup of flour here.
- Sprinkle the dough with a few pinches of flour, cover the bowl with a dishcloth or a plate, and set aside for approximately an hour to rise.
- After it has doubled in size, flour your counter and transfer the dough from the bowl to the floured surface.
- Knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball. Ten times maximum.
- Roll it out to make a 1-inch thick pizza/round form.
- Cut out as many donuts as you can with a cookie cutter or a cup.
- Allow another 10-15 minutes for the doughnuts to rise. The remaining dough can be discarded or used to make doughnut holes.
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 370°F for 3 minutes.
- Place four doughnuts in the Air Fryer at a time, lined with parchment paper. Do not line the air fryer with parchment paper and place the doughnuts inside. The paper will catch fire. It needs the doughnuts on top to keep it in place and avoid a fire.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes on one side, then open and turn to continue baking on the other. However, check after around 2 minutes to ensure they are not burning. You desire a golden hue.
- Remove from the Air Fryer and set on a dish lined with paper towels, then top with powdered sugar. DO NOT BE WORRIED: they come out quite firm, more like a muffin, but after resting and cooling, they are light, airy, soft, and wonderful.
- Allow it to cool before filling it with your favorites. I enjoy jelly, but Nutella is a family favorite.
Time and serving
- Total Time: 16-22
- serving: 2 hour
Frequently Asked Questions about Paczki Recipe Air Fryer
What is the original Paczki flavor?
Traditional fillings include powder (stewed plum jam) and wild rose petal jam, although strawberry, Bavarian cream, blueberry, custard, raspberry, and apple are also popular. Paczki has been around since the Middle Ages in Poland.
What is the difference between paczki and Fasnacht?
Paczki vs Fasnachts
Although both paczki and Fasnacht are eaten on Fat Tuesday, Fasnacht is prepared with potato dough and fashioned into a triangle or square, whereas paczki is made with yeasted dough and molded into a circle.
What is the singular of pączki?
The single form of pączki is “pączek.” Of course, I believe that no one ever says that since there is no such thing as “one pączek.”