A staple of South Indian breakfast is the crispy Medhu Vadai or Medu Vada recipe. Medu Vada is traditionally a savory deep-fried doughnut. It has a great flavor. Soaked lentils are mashed into a paste and combined with herbs and spices. They are then deep-fried and served with sambar and chutney.
I always try to come up with ideas for testing new recipes on my air fryer. So here it is Air fried Vadas. This Vada with sambar is a very cozy and tasty dish.
They tasted just like Vadas when I cooked them in the air fryer, but without all the oil and cooking hassle. They swelled up wonderfully.
You can even eat it dry with some coconut, tomato chutney, or ginger chutney. This oil-free air fryer Vada recipe is ideal for a breakfast or snack. Cooking these Vadas is simple, vegan, and kid-approved.
Ingredients for air fried Vadas
- 1 cup Urad Dal
Spices for flavoring
- 2 medium green chilies
- a few curry leaves
- Optional ginger (1 inch)
- a few pinches of hing (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
How to cook Air Fried Urad dal vada (Medu Vada)
- Soak Urad dal for at least 2 hours. Drain the water after they have finished soaking. Blend urad dal at high speed. Add just enough fresh water to thoroughly grind the batter into a smooth batter.
- In a coffee blender, combine the following ingredients to make a coarse paste: ginger, curry leaves, salt, and green chilies.
- Place the butter in a stand mixer and whip for 2-3 minutes (Use a hand-held appliance or a whisk with your hand alternatively).
- To the stand mixer, add the spice mix, hing, and jeera (cumin seeds) and mix for a few seconds to thoroughly incorporate the spices.
- Apply oil generously to the surface of the donut holes pan. Pipe the batter into the pan with a sandwich bag with the tip snipped off, or ladle the batter carefully.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for one minute. While most air fryers do not require preheating, it is a good idea to have the surface heated before placing the tray in. Place the pan in the air fryer for 14-15 minutes at 400°F.
- When the timer goes off, remove the pan and set it aside for a few minutes before removing it.
- If desired, broil the back side (optional). Serve immediately!!
Time and Servings
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Servings: 10
Can you make vada in an air fryer?
Dal vada, or lentil fritters, are commonly served as a snack or appetizer. They are usually deep-fried, vegan, and gluten-free. However, as air fryers become more popular, they can be easily prepared in an air fryer.
Why is my medu vada not crispy?
Why is my vada so firm? It is critical to soak the lentils for at least 4 hours. Under-soaked lentils will not produce a fluffy batter, and the vadas will be solid and hard. Hard vada may be made by not using enough water when grinding and not aerating the batter enough.
Should vada batter be fermented?
Some helpful suggestions for crispy medu vadas: When creating the batter, use less water. Grind until the batter is frothy and there are bubbles on top. Set aside the urad dal batter for a few minutes to ferment. Make certain that the oil is deep-fried at the proper temperature.
Can we fry Puri in Airfryer?
Yes, Puri can be air-fried. To accomplish this, put butter paper, rolled dough, and grease with oil using a brush in the air fryer. Air fried for six minutes at 180 C. Serve Puri with pickles and fried potato chips. Here is a more detailed air fryer Puri recipe.