If the Pizza Puff had been invented in another city, it might have become that city’s claim to fame. However, Chicago is known for its extravagant cuisine.
In Chicago, the Pizza Puff is frequently featured under “Sides” in tiny, greasy stands that serve hot dogs, polish sausage sandwiches, gyros, Italian beef, and the like.
If you’re unfamiliar with the Pizza Puff, you’ll quickly see why ordering one as a “side” to any of the meals listed above is absurd—and perhaps deadly.
Ingredients for Chicago Pizza Puff
- 1.5 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 2 tbsp of yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1.5 ounces all-purpose flour.
- 0.5-ounce yeast.
- 2 ounces milk, lukewarm (between 105 and 110 degrees F)
- 0.33 cup mascaraone cheese.
- Six ounces of water, lukewarm (between 105 and 110 degrees F).
- 0.33 cup mascaraone cheese.
- 1 white egg
- a quarter teaspoon of vanilla extract
Chicago Pizza Puffs Step-by-Step Instructions
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flours, yeast, salt, and sugar). Then gradually incorporate the wet ingredients until a dough forms. Remember to use only one tablespoon of olive oil!
- After mixing these ingredients into a homogenous batter-like mixture, transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. As you knead, add additional flour until all of the ingredients are uniformly distributed throughout the dough.
- Allow rising in a warm place or in a low-temperature oven for one hour or until doubled in size.
- After an hour, gently punch down the dough and let it rise for another half hour.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface and roll it out until it is about 1/4″ thick or less. You can use a rolling pin or your fists! Use any shape you like to cut the dough into pieces. The original deep dish pizza has a round shape. However, you can cut it into squares if you’d like as well!
- Now, gather your filling ingredients and prepare your oven at 400 degrees F. It’s time to begin stacking! Place each piece of dough, one at a time, on top of your filling of choice. This method should be repeated until you obtain the appropriate amount. If you don’t follow all of the baking directions for the filling, it won’t turn out well, and if it does, it’ll probably taste odd.
- For a crispy exterior, brush a thin coating of egg white over the crust and top with your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown, in a preheated oven. Allow the pizza puffs to cool on a wire rack after baking for an extra crispy crust!
Chicago Pizza Puff Nutrition Facts
- Calories 55KCAL
- Total Carbohydrates 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Protein 2g
- Sodium 4 mg
Time & Serves
- Total time: 45 min
- Serves: 5
Question Answer About Chicago Pizza Puff Recipe
What is in a Chicago pizza puff?
A pizza puff is a deep-fried dough pocket stuffed with cheese, tomato sauce, and other pizza toppings like sausage or pepperoni. Pizza puffs are a Chicago specialty that may be found at many casual dining establishments.
Are pizza puffs a Chicago thing?
Millions of hungry football fans, convenience store shoppers and nomadic snackers across the United States are familiar with the Pizza Puff, but few are aware that this self-contained, personal-sized panzerotti was invented in Chicago in the 1970s.
Can I air-fry a pizza puff?
Preheat the air fryer to 350°F; bake the pizza puffs on a greased pan in the air fryer basket as indicated, extending the time as needed until golden brown.