Have you had grilled pizza before? It’s fantastic! The simplest way to create grilled pizza is with this Grilled Naan Pizza. I’ll demonstrate how!
You’re in for a treat if you’ve never grilled pizza before. The crust is crispy and toasted, and it is sturdy enough to handle a large number of toppings without shattering.
Grilling is difficult enough without having to transport your entire kitchen outside. It’s worthwhile, but it takes a lot of effort!
So, rather than preparing pizza dough from scratch and grilling it (I have a GREAT 15-minute pizza dough recipe that I use for my Greek Pizza), I highly recommend creating a grilled pizza with naan bread as the pizza dough.
Pizza with naan bread
As a fast supper hack, I frequently make naan pizza! Store-bought naan bread is the appropriate size for making customized pizzas, and it has the perfect texture for pizza crust: It has a chewy, soft, and firm texture.
Perfect for piling on the toppings.
If you’ve never baked naan pizza, I strongly advise you to do so. You might question why you even bothered making your own pizza dough in the first place.
Toppings for grilled naan pizza
I went with a vegetarian grilled naan pizza for this dish, and the toppings were MorningStar Farms vegetable pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
I craved the rich meaty flavor and texture of pulled pork pizza and decided to attempt vegan pulled pork. It was really tasty!!
You may, of course, use ANY pizza toppings you like!
Ingredients for grilled naan bread pizza
- 4 flatbreads (naan) (preferably roasted garlic or plain flavor)
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (homemade or canned)
- 16 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes (or heirloom if available), thinly sliced
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, packed, carefully torn shortly before serving
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tbsp balsamic syrup (or old balsamic vinegar) for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed (optional)
Step-by-step directions for grilled naan bread pizza
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium (375°F).
- Drizzle (or brush) 4 tablespoons olive oil evenly over both sides of the naan. Spread even amounts of marinara on each, then top with fresh mozzarella, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Place each naan pizza on the griddle with care. Close the lid if you’re operating on an outside grill. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the bottom of each is golden brown and crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pizzas from the grill and top with the torn basil leaves (leaving any tiny leaves whole) and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Parmesan cheese. Serve sliced with red pepper flakes.
Grilled naan bread pizza nutrition facts
- Calories: 555
- Total Fat: 28.5g 37%
- Cholesterol: 34.2mg 11%
- Sodium: 876.8mg 38%
- Total Carbohydrate: 56.2g 20%
- Dietary Fiber: 6.1g 22%
- Sugars: 5.7g
Time & Serves
- Total time: 30 mins
- Serving: 4
Grilled naan bread pizza recipe commonly asked questions
Is grill good for pizza?
If you prepare pizza on a grill, you can keep the heat outdoors, where it belongs. Grills also simulate a wood-fired oven better than an indoor oven. Whether you use charcoal or gas, the smoke from the grill will enhance the flavor of your pizza in ways that a standard oven cannot.
Do you need a pizza stone to grill pizza?
This summer, you don’t need a pizza stone to cook pizza. Simply follow our lead. Set the grill to medium-high, indirect heat (for a charcoal grill, bank coals on one side of the grill; for a gas grill, leave one or two burners off).
How do you grill pizza without burning the crust?
Cook the dough briefly in a small amount of olive oil.
However, too much might generate flare-ups on the grill, resulting in scorched pizza. She also recommends grilling the pizza dough for one minute on each side. She claims that it produces a firmer dough, making it simpler to apply toppings while also reducing sogginess.