My household’s cooking asparagus in the Microwave is a beloved supper side dish. The house gets too hot when I cook it in the oven, but
Cooking it in the Microwave is ideal because it’s quick and simple.
What do you need to make Asparagus in the Microwave?
You don’t need much. You need:
- microwave-safe baking dish
- a bunch of Asparagus
- a knife or scissors
Topping Ideas for Steamed Asparagus
When the Asparagus is ready to eat, you can top it with a few different ideas:
- salt and pepper
- olive oil + lemon + minced garlic
- garlic salt
- salted butter
How do you make Asparagus in the Microwave?
Wash the Asparagus first, then trim the bottom woody stalks off using a knife or pair of scissors. Scissors, in my opinion, make the process simpler and faster. My go-to preparation method is Asparagus topped with lemon, garlic, and olive oil.
Therefore, before steaming the Asparagus, I add around 3 tablespoons of water and a few lemon slices to the microwave-safe baking dish.
The dish should have a plate or cover on it.
The Asparagus should be heated for three minutes on HIGH. It should be crisp yet still soft. If not, continue heating for a further 1-2 minutes.
Make use of pot holders to remove the dish gently. Place the Asparagus on a platter after removing it from the water. If more lemon juice is desired, squeeze some more. Stir gently after adding a teaspoon of minced garlic and a few drops of olive oil.
Or, include your preferred seasoning. Another one of our favorites is salted butter. Add a tablespoon, and massage the stalks with it while it’s still hot. Serve right away!
- Prep Time: 3 Minutes
- Total Time: 4 Minutes
- Cook Time: 4 Minutes
- 1 bunch of Asparagus
- 3-4 tablespoons of water
- Wash the Asparagus first, then trim the woody stalks at the bottom with a knife or pair of scissors.
- The Asparagus should be put in the microwave-safe dish with the water.
- Slices of lemon may be added. The dish should have a plate or cover on it.
- For three minutes, Microwave the Asparagus on HIGH.
- It should be crisp yet still soft.
- If not, continue heating for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Make use of pot holders to remove the dish gently.
- Place the Asparagus on a platter after removing it from the water.
- If more lemon juice is desired, squeeze some more.
- Stir gently after adding a teaspoon of minced garlic and a few drops of olive oil.
- Or, add your favorite spice.
- Another one of our favorites is salted butter.
- Simply add a tablespoon, and massage the stalks with it while it’s still hot.
- Serve instantly!
- Calories: 1
- Total Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 1mg
Can you cook asparagus without boiling it?
Yes, you can steam asparagus instead of boiling it. To do so: A steamer basket or insert should be placed in a pot with a few inches of water. Steam the asparagus for 90 to 120 seconds until it is bright green and crisp-tender. Add another minute of high-power microwaving if necessary.
The cooking process must be halted by immediately plunging the asparagus into cold water. Don’t forget to season the asparagus with salt and pepper before serving.
Can I blanch asparagus in the microwave?
Yes. To do so: place the asparagus in the microwave with the seam facing down. Cook for 3–4 minutes on high until asparagus is crisp-tender. Take out of the microwave with tongs and unwrap with caution. Set out on a dish and serve right away.