I’ve always enjoyed pierogi pizza, but it isn’t easy to locate it on a pizza menu nearby. So I decided to give it a shot and create some from scratch.
I prepared my dough using a recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod. I used half of the handmade dough for this pierogi pizza and the other half for stromboli, which I’ll talk about in a few days.
The pizza turned out fantastic. It was bursting at the seams with taste. It was a full supper because I used a lot of mashed potatoes and cheese. If you don’t want your topping to be thick, reduce the amount you use.
This pizza isn’t particularly healthy, but it was Friday night, and I felt we deserved a special treat at the end of a long week.
Pierogi Pizza Recipe Ingredients
- 1 batch of pizza dough, any pizza dough will do!
- 2 lbs potatoes, mostly peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese or any cheese will do!
- 1/4 cup butter + 1 tablespoon
Pierogi Pizza Recipe Directions
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- Using a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add yeast and 1/4 cup olive oil to the flour. Stir and knead until a sticky dough forms, about 5 minutes. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise for about 1 hour in a warm place.
- Pour enough water in a large pot to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil; cook for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium-size skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil until hot. Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes until lightly golden.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine sour cream and garlic powder for “sauce.”
- Gently pat and stretch pizza dough to a 12-inch circle on a pizza stone. Spread sauce evenly over the dough. Layer potatoes on top to cover the dough completely. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese, green onions, and bacon bits on top.
- Bake pizza in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per Serving: 471 calories; protein 14.5g; carbohydrates 56.7g; fat 21.3g; cholesterol 33.7mg; sodium 519.8mg.
Pierogi Pizza Recipe Ingredients Time Duration
- Prep: 35 mins
- Total: 2 hrs 15 mins
- Servings: 10
- Yield: 1 12-inch pizza
- Cook: 35 mins
- Additional: 1 hr 5 mins
Can I use pierogi dough for pizza?
There is a local restaurant that serves pierogi pizza. A few months ago, I tried it. It was perfect – crispy crust, creamy potatoes, sweet onions, with a wonderful layer of cheese on top
How do you make perogies pizza?
Spread sauce evenly over the dough. Arrange the potatoes on top, sprinkle on Cheddar cheese, green onions, and bacon bits, and bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
What toppings go on perogies?
One of our favorite ways to top pierogi is with a yogurt garlic sauce, which can be made plain or with spices to add zest. We also like to top them with caramelized onions and bacon.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Then you will like these pizza recipes as well: