Most of us think of pizza as a circular disk of dough covered with tomato, mozzarella, and other toppings and cooked in a hot oven. However, ‘pizza’ simply means pie.
It can also refer to an Italian cheesecake prepared with ricotta and eggs and flavored with sugar and other ingredients, known as pizza dolce di ricotta.
Follow this recipe to make your own Italian-style Pizza Dolce.
- 3 cups of regular flour
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. ice-cold water
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 white egg
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar
Directions for making pizza dolce
- In a large mixing dish, combine the flour and butter until crumbly. Whisk egg yolks and water in a separate dish; gradually add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide the dough in half, making one side slightly bigger than the other. Refrigerate the smaller part wrapped in plastic wrap.
- Divide the remaining dough into six equal halves. Roll out each part of the dough to fit a 5-inch pie dish; transfer to pie plates. Place aside.
- Remove the seeds from the raspberries and press them through a strainer. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small pot. Mix in the raspberry puree. Bring to a boil and simmer, constantly stirring, for 2 minutes or until thickened. Turn off the heat. Spread evenly on the bottom of each crust. Chocolate chips are optional.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, flour, and vanilla extract. 3 minutes on high speed in a small mixing dish. Gradually whisk in the sugar until the mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Fold the ricotta mixture in. Fill pastry shells with the mixture.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut lattice crusts. Edges should be trimmed, sealed, and fluted. Brush egg white over lattice tops. Garnish with coarse sugar.
- Place the pies on a baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is brown and the filling is set. Allow cooling on a wire rack. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional facts of pizza dolce
- 1 mini pie: 964 calories,
- 54g fat (32g saturated fat),
- 271mg cholesterol,
- 391mg sodium,
- 107g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 5g fiber),
- 20g protein.
Total Time for cooking:
- 1 hour Bake: 30 min + cooling
- serve 4-6 people.
Do you love pizza? I know you do 🙂 Here is more Pizza recipe for you