Microwave pineapple upside-down cake is my go-to recipe when I crave cake and want it immediately. Within 10 minutes, you and your family may enjoy this beautiful cake from your microwave.
It’s very simple to make using a silicone cake pan and a box of Jiffy cake mix.
What do you bake a microwave cake in?
This cake can be made in a standard 8 × 8 square baking dish. It’s always my go-to for microwave cakes and casseroles. For this cake, though, I used a 9-inch round silicone cake pan.
Can you make a microwave cake from a box mix?
Yes! It’s something I do all the time. I find it easier to use the 9 ounce boxes of Jiffy Golden Cake available at Walmart. However, I’ve also used larger Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, and Pillsbury brands, and I end up using half the batter for one cake pan with them.
Read more microwave recipes here:
- Microwave Avocado Cilantro Lime Rice
- Microwave Scrambled Eggs in a Mug
- Boiled Eggs In The Microwave
- Roasted Garlic in the Microwave
- Steam Raw Broccoli in the Microwave
What do you need to make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake in the Microwave?
You’ll need a few things:
- brown sugar
- a small jar of maraschino cherries
- an egg
- 8-9 inch silicone or ceramic cake pan
- a Jiffy Golden Cake mix
- 20 oz can of pineapple slices (you want the pineapple ring slices)
- a small box of instant vanilla pudding mix
How do you make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake in the Microwave?
- Fill a measuring cup halfway with pineapple juice. Place aside.
- Place the sliced butter in a microwave-safe cake pan
- To completely melt the butter in the pan, microwave it for 30-45 seconds.
- Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter.
- Place the pineapple slices on a bed of brown sugar.
- Arrange the cherries in the center of each pineapple slice, then the other cherries around the pineapple pieces.
- Gently press the slices and cherries into the brown sugar.
- Make cake batter according to package directions, using 1 egg and substituting 1/2 cup pineapple juice mixture for the 1/2 cup water.
- Over pineapple and cherries, pour batter.
- Microwave for 6-7 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Immediately run a knife around the edge of the pan to release the cake.
- Turn the serving plate and pan upside down on the pan.
- Remove the pan from the cake.
- 5 minutes to allow the brown sugar coating to drip over the cake
- Remove the pan.
- Allow 30 minutes to cool.
- Serve hot or cold. Or refrigerate for later.
Yield & Cooking Time
- Yield:1 Cake
- Additional Time: 30 Minutes
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 7 Minutes
- Total Time: 47 Minutes
- Calories: 513kcal
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 105g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 65g
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Calcium: 235mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 778mg
- Potassium: 173mg
- Vitamin A: 243IU
- Vitamin C: 8mg
Is it possible to make microwave pineapple upside down cake in a mug?
Yes, you can make a microwave pineapple upside-down cake in a mug. To do so, follow these steps:
- Pour the syrup into a microwave-safe cup large enough to hold the pineapple ring. Place the pineapple ring in the mug and the cherry in the center.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix the milk, yogurt, and coconut oil in a small mixing dish. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until barely mixed.
- Cover the pineapple with the batter. Microwave in 30-second increments for 90 seconds or until the cake is slightly domed and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool somewhat; the cake should easily peel away from the mug’s edges. Invert the cake onto a platter and remove the foil.
How do you prevent an upside-down pineapple cake from sticking to the pan?
Even after allowing the homely classic to cool for many hours, the cake might adhere to the pan. After greasing the pan, cover the bottom with parchment paper or a silicone cake pan liner to keep the goo where you want it and not obstruct the cake’s release. That should make removal easier; finally, peel the paper off the cake.
Can you put cake in the Microwave?
Yes. In a microwave, you can make any cake you want. The microwave only stays hot for 10 minutes after it has been preheated. So be sure your batter is ready to put inside immediately.
Set the microwave to convection mode, then adjust the temperature and time. Convection microwaves cut the baking time in half. Note that, cakes bake 7.5 minutes faster in convection microwaves than in ovens.
Why does pineapple upside down cake have to be refrigerated?
Because this cake contains fruit, it will spoil fast if not cooled. If your kitchen is hotter than 70 degrees Fahrenheit, the upside-down pineapple cake must be chilled right away. The higher the temperature, the faster your cake spoils.
Do you heat up pineapple upside down cake?
Upside-down cakes should be served within 2 hours of baking, or the cake part will become too gooey. Allow the cake to cool in the pan before serving; then, just before serving, heat it in a 375-degree oven for about 4 minutes, or until the bottom of the pan is hot.