I appreciate a good seafood recipe, especially now that the holidays are here. After all, what’s better as an entree or festive meal than fried seafood?
And who doesn’t love eating soft shell crabs? Every year, soft shell season comes and goes in an instant. Because of the ephemeral character of this moment, anything special becomes genuinely magnificent. That’s why we simply like to cook soft shells, allowing their natural flavors to show through. “The gourmet potato chips of the sea.”
Soft shell crabs are a savory seafood meal but difficult to prepare. This recipe shows you how to create soft shell crab for the first time in an air fryer!
- 4 soft-shell crabs
- 1 1/2 pound buttermilk
- 2 large whisked eggs
- 3 cup panko (bread crumbs)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
How to Air Fry Crispy Soft Shell Crabs
- Pour the buttermilk into a large mixing basin, followed by your cleaned soft shell crabs. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes, covered.
- Whisk your eggs in a separate dish. Combine the panko, lemon zest, Old Bay Seasoning, and salt in a separate bowl. Combine thoroughly.
- Drain the crab and then dip it into the egg, followed by the panko mixture. Allow the egg to drain while you dredge them, and then make sure the panko mixture adheres to the soft shell crab. Place the soft shell crabs in an oiled air fryer
- basket as you coat them. Spray the coating with cooking spray to help it crisp up.
- Cook for 7 to 10 minutes at 370 degrees F, using the air fryer setting.
- Plate, serve, and have fun!
Time & servings
- Total time: 50 mins
- servings: 4-5
- calories 358
- protein 9.1g
- carbohydrates 25.4g
- fat 24.4g
- cholesterol 65.2mg
- sodium 76mg
FAQs about soft shell crab recipe air fryer
Can you cook soft crabs in air fryer?
Yes, Place the soft shell crabs in an oiled air fryer basket as you coat them. Spray the coating with cooking spray to help it crisp up. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes at 370 degrees F, using the air fryer setting. Plate, serve, and have fun!
Can blue crabs be cooked in an air fryer?
Yes. Blue crabs are generally simple to prepare, so it stands to reason that cooking crab in the air fryer would also be simple. First, semi-thaw the blue crab, then cover it with olive oil and spice before preheating the air fryer for around 8 minutes. That’s it simple and tastes heavenly.
How do you cook frozen soft shell crabs?
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the necessary number of soft shell crabs on a baking sheet lined with foil and gently greased. Bake the crabs for 20 minutes, turning them after 10 minutes.
Does soft shell crab taste like regular crab?
Soft shell crabs are consumed in their whole, shell and all. The shell is bendable, and the flesh within is very sweet, juicy, and overflowing with genuine crab taste.