Super crispy, hearty, and tasty tempeh recipes air fryer will quickly become a mealtime classic. This Air Fried Tempeh couldn’t be simpler to prepare. Naturally gluten-free and vegan, with lovely garlic undertones.
After experimenting with tofu in the air fryer and becoming addicted, I also had to try tempeh. The end results are Super crispy and hearty tempeh—ideal for snacking or integrating into your favorite dishes. Tempeh Air Fry is a delicious meal.
- 8 ounces tempeh (1 package)
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil such as avocado or grapeseed – For oil-free, omit or sub 1 Tbsp tahini.
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- scant ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons tamari (for GF) or soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon maple syrup
Tempeh Recipes Air Fryer For Instructions
- To create the marinade, whisk together all of the ingredients except the tempeh in a large mixing basin or plate.
- Divide the tempeh into 24 or 36 squares. Smaller pieces are preferable because they provide more surface area for the delicious marinade.
- The cubes will be 12 to 34 inches in size.
- Toss the tempeh in the marinade, ensuring sure it’s evenly covered.
- Set a 30-minute timer. During that time, ladle the marinade from the bottom of the dish over the tempeh once or twice.
- After marinating the tempeh, pour 34 to 1 cup water to the bottom of the air fryer basket and insert the rack.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Arrange the tempeh in a single layer once it has been warmed (refer to photos in post above if needed). It should be higher above the water line.
- Cook for around 10 minutes, inspecting it midway and for the last few minutes to ensure it isn’t scorching.
- It is done when the tempeh is boiling hot and caramelized around the edges. Serve immediately.
- cuisine: Indonesian
- servings: 4
- prep time: 20 mins
- cook time: 15 mins
- total time: 35 mins
Nutrition Per Serving
- Sodium: 819mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- Vitamin C: 1mg
- Vitamin A: 1IU
- Sugar: 6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Potassium: 296mg
- Calories: 155kcal
Do you need to boil tempeh before frying?
Again, simmering tempeh before to cooking (as described below) helps remove the bitterness of tempeh. This approach is best used before pan frying tempeh so that you can do everything in one pan.
Do you have to steam tempeh before cooking?
Please do not skip this step! Steaming tempeh before baking or grilling it allows it to absorb marinade and absorb more flavor. While the cubes steam for 10 minutes, mix together a marinade.
Is tempeh healthier than tofu?
It all boils down to the meal you intend to make with tempeh. While both ingredients are great plant-based meat substitutes, tempeh is often considered the healthier option since it is less processed than tofu.